If you have been asking yourself if GDPR affects Messy Church, the answer is yes. Here at Messy Church HQ, the BRF Ministries office in Abingdon, we have been working on ensuring we meet the requirements of the legislation and looking at ways to improve how we handle personal data.
Privacy has been woven into the design of the website and directory redevelopment.
GDPR also impacts local Messy Churches. As with other legislation like safeguarding, this should be driven by the local church. It is not scary and there is a lot of guidance issued by the ICO and various church denominations.
We cannot endorse any particular GDPR guidance, but here are a few links to useful websites:
- The ICO’s guide to GDPR
- The Church of England, Parish Resource website GDPR guidance
- The Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes guidance notes on GDPR
- The Baptists Together GDPR guidance
- The Church of Scotland data protection guidance
- The United Reformed Church GDPR help
- The Church of Ireland GDPR guidance